easy n joy of kraut!!
Will move to glass / ceramic soon but …
Makes proteins in cabbage more easily digested, and it's dee lish...
- Mix in large bowl
- Chopped cabbage
- Dill / celery seeds
- Any carrots, beets, leafy greens like dandelions, kale, onions, garlic, cayenne, etc etc etc
- Pour a few inches of mix into bottom of ‘brewing’ bucket
- Sprinkle 2 teaspoons high quality salt over mix
- Pound with flat headed wood pestle a few mins
- Repeat until no more mix
- Ensure there’s veggie juices above the kraut … keep air away from fermentation. Add a bit of pure water as needed.
- Fill freezer bag with water to press kraut to be under fluid level
- Cover to block flies / dust
- Check every few days to taste
- When ripe to your liking a few days to many weeks … transfer to screw top container (gal jar for eg) and transfer either to fridge or cool part of house.
- Continue to have fluid just above kraut.
This gal is 7 months old in basement .. kraut better than ever.